Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Roasted Cauliflower and Parsley Frittata


My kids love eggs and still ask for me to buy them when we go to the grocery store. I have tried to explain that “we don’t eat eggs anymore. We are vegans now.” They are always disappointed and I always feel a little bad that I cannot provide them with what they desire. Until now . . .
This morning I woke up and made my children a beautiful Roasted Cauliflower and Parsley Frittata. They loved it!! They did figure it out quickly that no eggs went into the making of the dish (“mom, no eggshells??”)   
I was also excited to try out some new spices I got from the Indian store. One is Zahtar (thyme, sesame seeds, sumac, and salt) and the other nigella (a bitter spice). These two are fantastic when roasted.
Here is the recipe in all it’s glory
Roasted Cauliflower and Parsley Frittata
1 small head of cauliflower – chopped into 1 inch pieces
2 tbl olive oil
2 tsp Zahtar
½ tsp salt
1 bunch parsley -remove leaves and discard stems (or juice them like my husband did)
1 tbl olive oil (optional)
1 clove garlic (optional)
1 12 oz package of firm tofu –drained and pressed
¼ cup nutritional yeast
1 tbl mustard (I used whole seed since that is how I roll)
2 tsp Braggs Liquid Aminos
½ tsp turmeric
¼ tsp salt
Dash of black pepper
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
1. Toss cauliflower in olive oil, zahtar, nigella, and salt. Roast for 20-25 minutes. Allow to cool 10 minutes.
2.This next step is optional. If you want then just toss the parsley in the blender and not cook it then feel free. You may also feel free to use kale or spinach instead - cooked or raw.
Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan and put in garlic. Once garlic has browned slightly (this happens quickly so watch it) throw in parsley and cook until tender. Allow to cool 10 minutes
3. Place cauliflower, parsley in a blender with the rest of the ingredients and blend. It does not have to be smooth.
4. Press into a pie plate and place I a 400 degree oven for 25-30 minutes

5. Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment